Hey It’s Jet Here.
Mom told JJ and I that Fall officially began a little more than a week ago. Here in the tropics, Fall and Spring do not stand out, weather wise. To emphasize the change of seasons, residents:
- Accessorize the outside/inside of their homes with pumpkins, small gourds, and
- Indian corn trucked in from up North, (Mom bought our pumpkin on Sunday.)
- Incorporate winter squashes, cranberries, apples, pears, persimmons and pomegranates into our weekly shopping list
- Locate their slightly longer sleeved items! (In case they need them sometime in December, right before winter officially begins!)
- Speak wistfully (VBP – vocab builder project) about fall foliage from when many of them lived up North.
Mom thought a nice fall inspired dip might get us further in the mood. I enjoyed the yogurt part so much, Little Miss Too Late to the Container got shut out!
Cranberry Fruit Dip
- 1 cup vanilla nonfat yogurt
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 tbs. fresh orange zest
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ cup pomegranate juice
In a saucepan, heat pomegranate juice, cranberries and orange zest. Bring to a boil and cook until cranberries are soft. Remove from heat and place mixture in a food processor until cranberry mixture is finely chopped. Let cool. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cranberry sauce and spices. Cover and chill. Serve with assorted fruits for dipping.
Another great any excuse for yogurt day.