Hey It’s Jet Here.
Thanks to Sugar and Kol for initiating Tasty Tuesdays, today is our twentieth participating post!
Let’s jump right in. Can you say cucumbers? CHEESE? TURKEY? Mom outdid herself on this one. The second of her UMiami Diabetic support class selections might end up on JJ and Jet’s Top Ten of the summer!
When Mom pulled out the long, seedless cucumber, JJ and I, faithfully on QC (quality control) duty, wagged really hard. We hoped for 1 slice for class, 1 for JJ, 1 for me, repeat… the reality – we each received 3 slices. Mom said something about not creating a tummy ache. Pshawww…
CHEESE… Mom bought crumbled for class (buy one, get one free, lucky for her). At Casa Jet, she usually would buy block feta and rinse a bit to reduce sodium and then give us a few tidbits. We received what they call BUBKES (nothing!) Hmpf… Mom used the measly excuse that the containers were closed and would stay that way for class. She tried to pull the same thing regarding the turkey, saw our sad puppy dog faces and caved! (She used her personal turkey, roasted, salt free.)
Oh, I guess I should let you know that her class participants loved the dish and made extra sandwiches to take home!
Greek Salad Pitas with Feta Spread and Turkey
- 3/4 cup (4 ounces) feta cheese (Mom doubled recipe for class and used ½ non fat feta and ½ regular)
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- Freshly grated zest and freshly squeezed juice from 1/2 lemon (1 teaspoon of zest and 1 tablespoon of juice)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole-wheat pitas
- 4 large leaves romaine lettuce, torn in half
- 1 medium English (seedless) cucumber, cut into thin half-moon slices
- 16 to 20 fresh mint leaves (1/4 cup loosely packed) (Mom used the mint from our garden.)
- 12 ounces thinly sliced roast turkey breast (low-sodium, if desired… Mom DESIRED!)
- Use a fork to combine the feta cheese and yogurt in a medium bowl, mashing any large chunks of cheese. Add the lemon zest and juice, oregano and pepper; mix well to form a spread. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
- To make the sandwiches, cut each pita in half to form 2 pockets. Line each pocket with a half of a lettuce leaf. Spread 2 heaping tablespoons of the feta spread into the pocket. Fill each pocket with about 6 cucumber slices, 4 or 5 mint leaves and 2 or 3 slices of turkey. Serve immediately.
Another great, megalos (great in Greek) day!
Now we are hungryyyyyyyy 🙂 mummmmmmmm
Hey Moggies, Jet here.
Glad you liked the idea… now ask your human for some tasty tidbits!!!
Your mom’s recipe sounds really good Jet! You are so lucky to have a mom that is a great cook! Our mom isn’t so good in the kitchen, but we guess we’ll keep her!
Hey Dogs N Pawz, Jet here.
Thanks so much for complimenting Mom… the funny part is, my sister, Rachel, does not enjoy Mom’s cooking AT ALL! Neither did her dad, Mr. Fred, back in the day. Bet your Mom does just great! If she wants, she can sign up for Mom’s newsletter which comes out 2x/month… maybe that can expand her culinary horizons. 🙂
Oh my, now I’m hungry again! YUM!
Hey Brian, Jet here.
Dude, I cannot say enough about your hat, you are stylin’!
See if your human will share a tidbit or two…
that momma is stressing me out…. she is making this her her OWN lunch!!! Can you say OINK?
Hey Silvie, Jet here.
For some reason, my Mom giggled a smidge when reading your comment… the ONLY reason I can think of for not sharing tidbits with you is your delicate tummy from the other day… ask her for a raincheck! 🙂
Right up our street..Fank youz ( whispers…meat loaf..meat loaf..meat loaf..bol 🙂 )
Have a great day 🙂 xx
Hey Mollie, Hey Alfie, Jet here.
Most welcome… check out Mom’s Kitchen Counselor site, you may enjoy her newsletter! (sign up at http://www.thekitchencounselor.com) Mom just sent you 4 meat loaf recipes to get you started! 🙂
Have a great day, too. 🙂
Hi sweet Jetty – I say YUMMY! all my favs – cukes, feta, yogurt – minus the turkey for me please! love you and JJ xxoxoox
Hey it’s Jet here. Hi Miss Wendy.
Miss Wendy… are you a vegetarian? If so… Mom says substitute some tempeh!!!
Sending Greek style Jetty kisses & JJ hugs to you, Mr. David, Jacob, Cassie, Rex and Barkley xoxoxoxo
yummm yumm says Mom…paw pats, Savvy
Hey Savvy, Jetty here. Hi Miss Linda.
Mom’s smiling! 🙂
Sounds yummy for the humans and I (although I could do without the cucumber and lemon 😉
My human is hungry now 🙂
Hey Texas, Jet here.
BOL… Puffy says you felines prefer your proteins!!! Let us know if you make some! 🙂
*drool…what a great recipe! My human is vegetarian so I rarely get meat, so if she made these I could eat all the turkey! Thanks for sharing!
Hey Suka, Jet here. Hi Miss K.
Thanks Suka… guess what? Mom has a super idea… if your human wants, she can substitute tempeh for the turkey, she says it will be probably be yummy. She would marinate and saute the tempeh in a greek seasoning kind of thing… 🙂 Feel free to share photos on Mom’s Kitchen Counselor FB fan page!
Hey Kirby, Jet here.
BOL! Make sure you get some tidbits if she makes the recipe!
Hi sweet Jetty – hope you are all well – we’re off to visit a college in Orlando today so I;ll send goodnight hugs later!
Hey it’s Jet here. Hi Miss Wendy.
OMD, can you believe it’s that time already??? Have a good visit… xoxoxox
Hey brown dawgs, Jet here. Hi Miss Linda.
Glad you like the idea!
Pingback: How Did We End Up With Two Pool Phobic Golden Girls? | Hey… It's Jet Here