Hey It’s Jet Here.
Mom and I have something in common. We both have siblings-of-the-heart. Koko, JJ, Puffy, Fluffy and I do not share DNA, however, we’re siblings in our forever home. Mom decided many years ago that while an only child by birth, her dear friends felt like siblings-of-the-heart. She shares many of the Jewish Holidays with one of her SOTH, Miss Ellen and her family.
Tomorrow, after fasting for the day, Mom will “Break Fast” with Miss Ellen and her family. Typically, families serve items such as bagels, cream cheese, lox, tuna, egg salad, fruit salad and chopped liver. Miss Ellen always prepares Danish Cucumbers, which Mom looks forward to. This year, Mom offered to make them instead.
Since Mom does NOT bring home a “doggie bag” filled with those scrumptious items for her dedicated Kitchen K9s, she owed JJ and I tidbits of cucumber from her preparation Sunday. She obliged, allowing JJ and I to perform a good amount of QC (quality control!). We received the ends of the cukes after Mom passed the rest of each veggie through the mandoline.
Ingredients: (Thank goodness Mom tripled the recipe!)
- 2 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced dill weed or 1 tablespoon parsley
- Place cucumbers in non-reactive bowl. Mix vinegar, water, sugar, salt and pepper; pour over cucumbers.
- Cover and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, at least 3 hours.
- Drain; sprinkle with dill weed.
Another great cucumber day.