Hey it’s Jet here.
When Mom lived up north, (N.J.), Labor Day meant the last gathering before school began. Here in the tropics, school begins mid-August (and already closed yesterday for Mr. Tropical Storm Isaac.) Mom thought you might enjoy a recipe that travels well for BBQs, picnics, beach day or grilling at home. She originally selected this dish for her Diabetic Support Group at UMiami Med School earlier this month. Mom substituted stevia for Splenda, as she is NOT A FAN of that Splenda stuff.
As her faithful Kitchen K9s, we helped with QC (quality control) for the carrots, celery and red pepper. Mom gave us the teensiest tidbit of cabbage as Little Miss “Not So Dainty about Passing Wind” already has enough fuel in the system if you know what I mean.
- 1 cup green cabbage, finely chopped (Mom used the shred disc in her food processor since she tripled the recipe for class.)
- 1 cup purple cabbage, finely chopped (Mom used the shred disc in her food processor since she tripled the recipe for class.)
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp Splenda (Mom used the stevia equivalent, you can use sugar, agave, or sweetener of choice.)
- 1/4 cup Smart Balance Omega oil (Mom used Olive oil.)
- Combine the vegetables in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the vinegar, water, Splenda, and oil.
- Then toss together and chill before serving. (Since the participants assembled the dish in class, they did not chill the cole slaw; no one seemed to mind.)
Another great colorful cole slaw day.
Pawnote: Wishing those in Isaac’s path safe passage through the storm.