Hey It’s Jet Here.
Can you believe that the sky has turned dark grey and the thunder has begun? I’m parked under Mom’s desk while JJ paces and frets. Mom asked Ruby and Rachel to give us lots of lovies so she can transcribe this post! Heaven knows how long the power will last!
Have I mentioned how much JJ and I LOVE tomatoes? We particularly enjoy the pop of grape or cherry tomatoes in our mouths. We sit with the ultimate good behavior waiting for a toss from Mom. We both like cream cheese too! (me more than JJ…) When Mom offered each of us half a bocconcini (bite-sized fresh mozzarella balls), I could not believe our good fortune. The following recipe uses both ingredients. When Mom demonstrated this salad, the bowl came home empty… I only licked the teensy leftover goodness when Mom loaded the dishwasher.
Mini Caprese Salad
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 small clove garlic, grated or minced
- 1 cup basil leaves, about 20 leaves, plus a few for garnish
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, multi colored if available, halved
- 1 cup bocconcini (bite-sized fresh mozzarella balls), drained, halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine lemon juice, garlic, basil in food processor or blender, process and stream in extra virgin olive oil to form a smooth dressing. Combine tomatoes, cheese and dressing in a bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with a few torn basil leaves.
Another great, cheesy, day.